Uppsala University hereby declares the following position to be open for application:
Postdoc Research Position in Critical Studies of the Internet and the Information Society at the Department of Informatics and Media.
The position is temporary (January 1st, 2012 – December 31st, 2013). The employment can be prolonged for one year.
* Research in the area of Internet privacy studies, Internet surveillance studies, information society studies.
* Research in externally funded research projects.
* Research administration.
* Doctoral degree in social sciences.
* Research and publishing experience in all or some the following areas: Internet studies, information society studies, Internet privacy studies, Internet surveillance studies, Internet & society
* Background and experience in critical studies of digital media and society
* Solid foundation in qualitative and quantitative empirical social science research methods
* Solid foundation in social theory and philosophy of the information society and social theory and philosophy of digital media & society
* Interest to work in the field of Internet privacy- & Internet surveillance-studies
* Willingness to work in externally funded research projects
* Excellent command of written and spoken academic English
The application should include:
* a CV
* a scan/copy of the PhD degree
* a copy/scan of at least one recommendation letter
* electronic versions of the two most important published articles or book chapters (in the case of monographs, please select specific chapters)
* an application letter detailing answers to the following questions:
1. What are your academic goals and major research interests for the coming five years?
2. Why are you interested in this position?
3. What qualifies you for this position?
4. What are your expectations about this position and the work at the Department of Informatics and Media?
5. What have been the major results of your research and how do they
connect to the announced position?
6. Describe shortly the topic of your dissertation and why you have chosen it.
7. How do you see the state of the art of Internet Studies in general and Internet privacy and surveillance studies in particular? How can the state of the art of the field be advanced and what could be your contribution?
8. Describe your knowledge of social science research methods and social theory.
Uppsala University is striving to promote equality by advancing gender balance. The majority of employees are men, so we encourage female applications.
Information about the employment, Professor for Media and Communication Studies: Christian Fuchs (email@example.com): +46 18 471 1019;
Head of the Department and Professor Mats Edenius: +46 18 471 11 76.
Representatives from the Union are: Anders Grundström, Saco-rådet, +46 18-471 53 80, Carin Söderhäll, TCO/ST, +46 18-471 19 96, Stefan Djurström, tel. +46 18-471 33 15.
You are welcome to submit your application no later than 31st October, 2011, UFV-PA 2011/2206. Use the link below to access the application form.